40) “Winnie the Pooh seems to me to be a fundamental text on national security.” — Obama foreign policy adviser Richard Danzig
39) “I have to tell you, you know, it’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg.” — “Journalist” Chris Matthews
38) “Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks.” — Democratic Congressman Alcee Hastings on Sarah Palin
37) “That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair and someone pointed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.” — A remark Mike Huckabee made while he was speaking at the NRA
36) “Many spiritually advanced people I know (not coweringly religious, mind you, but deeply spiritual) identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul.” — Mark Morford
35) “The broader question if Sarah Palin becomes vice president, will she be shortchanging her kids or will she be shortchanging the country?” — NBC correspondent Amy Robach
34) “You got into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.” — Barack Obama
33) “I’ve abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system.” — George Bush
32) “Could I get an apology from the commissioner, in this day and time, you don’t sit around a table where you have diversity and refer to a black hole. …You shouldn’t.” — Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price explains that black hole is a racist term.
31) “What Hitler was demanding was not unreasonable. He wanted the German-speaking areas of Europe under German authority.” — Seattle Times editorial writer Bruce Ramsey
30) “Ultimately, I think the United States is a pretty awesome country but it very plausibly would have been even awesomer had English and American political leaders in the late 18th century been farsighted enough to find compromises that would have held the empire together.” — Matthew Yglesias
29) “To be more specific, the evangelical, right-wing, oogedy-boogedy branch of the GOP is what ails the erstwhile conservative party and will continue to afflict and marginalize its constituents if reckoning doesn’t soon cometh.” — Kathleen Parker
28) “(Sarah Palin’s) greatest hypocrisy is in her pretense that she is a woman.” — Wendy Doniger at the Washington Post
27) “Why couldn’t, uh, why couldn’t have (Rush Limbaugh) croaked from it instead of Heath Ledger?” — Bill Maher
26) “We’ll be eight degrees hotter in ten, not ten but 30 or 40 years and basically none of the crops will grow. Most of the people will have died and the rest of us will be cannibals.” — Ted Turner
25) “For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.” — Michelle Obama
24) I realized almost within a minute, I don’t have to apologize for my country when I’m abroad. I can say, ‘I belong to a great country,’ and there are Europeans who say, ‘Aren’t you glad to be here in France where we don’t have the racism you live under? Aren’t you glad you’re here in Britain?’ I mean, I’ve been on the defensive so long. But this time I can say, ‘I am an American, look at us, look at what we’ve just achieved.’” — Maya Angelou on Obama’s election
23) “The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” — Barack Obama
22) “‘Gangsta rap’ was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. ‘Gangsta rap’ didn’t exist.” — Alicia Keys
21) “I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother – a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.” — Barack Obama
20) “I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.” — Hillary Clinton makes up a ridiculous, untrue story about her trip to Bosnia.
19) “What I notice about men, all men, is that their order is me, my family, God is in there somewhere, but me is first.” — Michelle Obama
18) “Bad Mother Palin is blabbing about how her pregnant teenage daughter has made the right CHOICE!!! Well, first of all, Ms. Palin, I mean MRS. Palin, your slutty daughter wouldn’t have a CHOICE to make at all, if you had your way!!! …I can see that she gets off talking badly to Barack, and I am sure the “N” word is rollin around that empty head of hers somewhere.” — Roseanne Barr
17) “At least half of the [Ten] Commandments are stupid!” — Bill Maher
16) “Should I be worried about being a slave, about being returned to slavery because certain things happened in the Constitution that you had to change?” — Whoopi Goldberg to John McCain
15) “F*ck Jesus” — ESPN anchorwoman Dana Jacobson
14) “I had a recurring fantasy in which I took (Rudy Giuliani) out during a press conference (it was nonlethal, just something that put him out of commission for a year or so), saving America from the horror of a President Giuliani. If that sounds like I had some trouble being ‘objective,’ I did.” — Newsweek reporter Michael Hastings
13) “I think that (the Iraqi insurgents are) patriots and that they don’t like us because we’ve invaded their country and occupied it.” — Ted Turner
12) “…It seems this time around, the Bush family is trying the more subtle approach to open bloodshed: first create a crisis, then under the guise of addressing that crisis, overthrow democracy. Yes, it does sound terribly conspiracy-theory-esque when explained just this way. But what else does one call a criminal conspiracy to destroy Congressional powers permanently, alter Judicial powers permanently, and steal public funds?” — Larisa Alexandrovna at the Huffington Post
11) “Please understand what you are looking at when you look at Sarah ‘Evita’ Palin. You are looking at the designated muse of the coming American police state.” — Naomi Wolf
10) “If Obama loses it will spark the second American Civil War. Blood will run in the streets, believe me. And it’s not a coincidence that President Bush recalled soldiers from Iraq for Dick Cheney to lead against American citizens in the streets.” — Erica Jong
9) “The argument has been made that one of the reasons that the US government assassinated Martin Luther King Jr. was because of his speech at Riverside Church in New York, I think it was Riverside Church, where he came out fully against the war in southeast Asia and fully against the policies that were being perpetuated against the American people in general. He left his little safe niche of, oh, well, he’s a spokesman for the Negroes, and stepped outside that and started taking on greater issues and so the United States government said, well, it’s time to get rid of this guy.” — Mike Malloy
8) “F*** God D*mned Joe the God D*mned Motherf*cking plumber! I want Motherf*cking Joe the plumber dead.” — Liberal talk show host Charles Karel Bouley on the air.
7) “Call me wacky, but hurray for the tiger that killed the kid who was… taunting him. Now, I know this is not right… but let’s hear it for the wild… I loathe zoos. I’m still cheering the fact that some stingray whacked that Aussie pain in the *ss Steve Irwin.” — Air America radio host Lionel
6) “I don’t want to sound like an ad, a public service ad on TV, but the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don’t, then you’ve got, the Army, Iraq, I don’t know, something like that. It’s, it’s not as bright. So, that’s my little commercial for that.” — Stephen King
5) “White people shouldn’t be allowed to vote. It’s for the good of the country and for those who’re bitter for a reason and armed because they’re scared.” — Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Jonathan Valania
4) “If you’re a young person looking at the future of this planet and looking at what is being done right now, and not done, I believe we have reached the stage where it is time for civil disobedience to prevent the construction of new coal plants that do not have carbon capture and sequestration.” — Al Gore
3) “I’m glad [Al Qaeda terrorists] finally have a chance to see you, Mr. Addington.” — Democratic Congressman Rep. Wiliam Delanhunt to David Addington, Dick Cheney’s chief of staff in front of the House Judiciary Committee.
2) “General Betray Us? Of course he has. MoveOn.org can hardly be expected to recycle its slogan from last September, when Gen. David Petraeus testified in support of escalating the U.S. war in Iraq, given the hysterical denunciations that worthy group received at the time. But it was right then–as it would be to repeat the charge now.” — Robert Scheer
1) “So, 4000 rubes are dead. Cry me the Tigris. Another 30,000 have been seriously wounded. Boo f*cking hoo. They got what they asked for–and cool robotic limbs, too.
…The nearly two-thirds of us who know this war is bullsh*t need to stop sucking off the troops. They get enough action raping female soldiers and sodomizing Iraqi detainees.” — Ian Murphy