The 20 Best Quotes From The 2008 Republican National Convention
Honorable Mention: “If Barack Obama cannot appreciate that our troops are winning in Iraq, he should not be their Commander in Chief.” — Lindsey Graham
Honorable Mention: “Democrats want to use the slowdown as an excuse to do what their special interests are always begging for: higher taxes, bigger government and less trade with other nations. It’s the same path Europe took a few decades ago. It leads to moribund growth and double-digit unemployment.” — Mitt Romney
Honorable Mention:”My own father held down two jobs, barely affording the little rented house I grew up in. My Dad worked hard, lifted heavy things, and got his hands dirty. The only soap we had at my house was Lava. Heck, I was in college before I found out it wasn’t supposed to hurt to take a shower.” — Mike Huckabee
“Too good to leave out, but too long to qualify as a mere quote: But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed … when the roar of the crowd fades away … when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot – what exactly is our opponent’s plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he’s done turning back the waters and healing the planet?
The answer is to make government bigger … take more of your money … give you more orders from Washington … and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world. America needs more energy … our opponent is against producing it. Victory in Iraq is finally in sight … he wants to forfeit. Terrorist states are seeking nuclear weapons without delay … he wants to meet them without preconditions. Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America … he’s worried that someone won’t read them their rights? Government is too big … he wants to grow it. Congress spends too much … he promises more. Taxes are too high … he wants to raise them.” — Sarah Palin
20) “Some Washington pundits and media big shots are in a frenzy over the selection of a woman who has actually governed rather than just talked a good game on the Sunday talk shows and hit the Washington cocktail circuit.” — Fred Thompson
19) “John McCain will follow the fanatics to their caves in Pakistan or to the gates of hell. What Obama wants to do is give them a place setting at the table.” — Mike Huckabee
18) “And though both Senator Obama and Senator Biden have been going on lately about how they are always, quote, “fighting for you,” let us face the matter squarely. There is only one man in this election who has ever really fought for you.” — Sarah Palin
17) “Now, being a POW certainly doesn’t qualify anyone to be President. But it does reveal character. This is the kind of character that civilizations from the beginning of history have sought in their leaders.” — Fred Thompson
16) “I’m not running for president because I think I’m blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save our country in its hour of need. My country saved me. My country saved me, and I cannot forget it. And I will fight for her for as long as I draw breath, so help me God.” — John McCain
15) “In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.” — Sarah Palin
14) “Fellow citizens, if the Hanoi Hilton could not break John McCain’s resolve to do what is best for his country, you can be sure the angry left never will.” — George Bush
13) “Because John McCain stood up our country is better off. The respect he is given around the world is not because of a teleprompter speech designed to appeal to American critics abroad, but because of decades of clearly demonstrated character and statesmanship.” — Fred Thompson
12) “When I was five years old, a car pulled up in front of our house. A Navy officer rolled down the window, and shouted at my father that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. I rarely saw my father again for four years. My grandfather came home from that same war exhausted from the burdens he had borne, and died the next day. In Vietnam, where I formed the closest friendships of my life, some of those friends never came home with me. I hate war. It is terrible beyond imagination.
I’m running for President to keep the country I love safe, and prevent other families from risking their loved ones in war as my family has. I will draw on all my experience with the world and its leaders, and all the tools at our disposal – diplomatic, economic, military and the power of our ideals – to build the foundations for a stable and enduring peace.” — John McCain
11) “My fellow citizens, the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of personal discovery.” — Sarah Palin
10) “Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy.” — Rudy Giuliani
9) “As far as I’m concerned, the first day she was mayor, she had more experience as an executive than Obama and Biden combined. Then she became Governor…” — Rudy Giuliani
8) “To deal with these challenges the Democrats present a history making nominee for president. History making in that he is the most liberal, most inexperienced nominee to ever run for President. Apparently they believe that he would match up well with the history making, Democrat controlled Congress. History making because it’s the least accomplished and most unpopular Congress in our nation’s history.” — Fred Thompson
7) “But here’s a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion – I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this country. Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reasons, and not just to mingle with the right people.” — Sarah Palin
6) “I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a “community organizer,” except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don’t quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren’t listening.” — Sarah Palin
5) “How dare they question whether Sarah Palin has enough time to spend with her children and be Vice-President. How dare they do that. When do they ever ask a man that question? When?” — Rudy Giuliani
4) “Senator Obama is a gifted and eloquent young man who can do great things for our country in the years ahead. But my friends, eloquence is no substitute for a record — not in these tough times for America.
In the Senate he has not reached across party lines to get anything significant done, nor has he been willing to take on powerful interest groups in the Democratic Party.” — Joe Lieberman
3) “This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word “victory” except when he’s talking about his own campaign.” — Sarah Palin
2) “I’m not a Republican because I grew up rich, but because I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life poor, waiting for the government to rescue me.” — Mike Huckabee
1) “Now our opponents tell you not to worry about their tax increases.
They tell you they are not going to tax your family.
No, they’re just going to tax “businesses”! So unless you buy something from a “business”, like groceries or clothes or gasoline … or unless you get a paycheck from a big or a small “business”, don’t worry … it’s not going to affect you.” — Fred Thompson
I watched Senator Kennedy’s historic speech on C-SPAN yesterday morning in awed silence. “…A man in dark hood and cape,
John Fund looks at the efforts by proponents of affirmative action to try to block the amendment banning the use