Question: Robert A. Heinlein called our times “The Crazy Years” in his Future History. Has our nation gone crazy” — N. O’Brain
Answer: No, just the liberals.
Liberalism has gone so far over the rails that most of its famous practitioners should be officially designated as mentally ill — and that includes people like Barack Obama, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, etc.
Their entire political philosophy is centered around making them feel good about themselves, not actually achieving anything. To a liberal, a policy that makes him feel good about himself, but that leads to millions of babies being born out of wedlock, thousands of Americans dying needlessly, of tens of millions of Americans losing their jobs is a good policy. That’s not hyperbole. That’s how people like Barack Obama, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi view the world.
In a saner world, people like that would no more be allowed near positions of power than Michael Jackson would be allowed near a day care center. However, there are a lot of factors that have allowed the Left to gain power.
* The GOP did a lousy job, particularly over the last 4 years.
* We’re a two party country and traditionally, power shifts between the two parties.
* Liberals lie ceaselessly about what they believe and what they want to do.
* Liberals have maneuvered themselves into jobs outside of politics where they can tilt the scales in their favor: school teacher, journalist.
* Half the American people know almost nothing about politics, economics, world affairs, etc., and can be easily swayed.
* In politics, even the most horrendous screw-ups often take years to manifest and by then, the blame can be passed on to someone else.
* The American people have been so privileged and so prosperous for so long that they have trouble conceiving of anything truly going horribly wrong. Intellectually, they realize it’s possible, but they just think everything will work out somehow.
However, the reality is that we are entering the most perilous time for our nation since WW2. No, we’re not going to have a foreign enemy invade us and, no, this recession we’re in is probably not going to be the next Great Depression. Probably.
However, we’re getting very close to the point of no return with the amount of debt we have. We need to be dramatically cutting back to get our debt paid off so that we can deal with astronomical expenses the Baby Boomers are going to be generating over the next 20-30 years. Instead, we’re dramatically ramping up the spending and size of government.
This is extraordinarily dangerous because the only way to pay off our debts at this point is to slow the growth of government to a crawl and grow our way out of it. Yet, not only are we rapidly increasing the size of government, we’re doing it in such a way that it will hamper economic growth. Moreover, as we’re seeing today, the world economy is much more hooked together than it was in the past and I have to tell you: I think much of Western Europe is going to hell on a shutter in the next 20-30 years — and if that happens, we’re going to take a big hit from it economically, too.
Moreover, when we become too poor to field a decent military, there will be nobody else capable of filling the “global sheriff” role and people will start to see — too late — how much America actually did to maintain global stability. That will lead to more war, more chaos, and more economic problems. Put another way, I think we’re headed towards a car wreck in our nation and globally. It won’t be a pretty picture and we should be taking precautions, not wrecking our economy to make liberals feel good about themselves.
But still, just because the government is being foolish doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be foolish. Just be aware that the economic forecast, minus some sort of technological or economic miracle, is going to be ugly over the next 20-30 years, and take steps to prepare. Other than pray and try to get more Republicans in office, there’s not much else you can do.