The 25 Best Quips, Quotes, And Excerpts From Ann Coulter’s “Mugged: Racial Demagoguery From The Seventies To Obama”
From Ann Coulter’s Mugged: Racial Demagoguery from the Seventies to Obama..
25) In the 1980s, Sharpton was captured on an FBI videotape, biting an unlit cigar and wearing a leather cowboy hat, discussing purchasing a cocaine shipment from an agent posting as a drug dealer….This tape was made in 1983, but the public didn’t see it until 2002, nineteen years later. After the tape played on HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel in 2002, Sharpton threatened to sue, claiming there was a second tape that exonerated him, but the second tape never materialized. Instead, government sources said they hadn’t prosecuted Sharpton but instead used the tape to turn him into an FBI informant. — P.64-65
24) The rapid expansion of “civil rights” to encompass every let-wing cause — except real civil rights — proves that liberals never took the nation’s debt to black Americans seriously in the first place. — P.149
23) In a society that has virtually no moral standards anymore, claims of racism are about the only thing that still get the moral-indignation juices flowing. But if a charge of racism is going to mean anything, the incessant false charges have got to stop. They help no one but serial fantasists. — P.72
22) Liberals claim Republicans speak in racist code words for the simple reason that Republicans aren’t saying anything that’s objectively racist. — P.198
21) We get lots of overwrought predictions about racist Americans, but we never get the admission, Okay, I overreacted. — P.209
20) At best, the struggle for civil rights was an intra-Democratic Party fight. More accurately, it was Republicans and blacks fighting Democrat segregationists and enablers. — P.6
19) As with the Trayvon Martin case in the era of Obama, the New York press relentlessly showed pictures of the subway “youths” (killed by Bernard Goetz) as little kids. A message was being sent. We don’t see Hitler’s baby pictures. We don’t see the Duke lacrosse players’ baby pictures. — P.101
18) Liberals pioneered the method of calling anyone who disagrees with them on politics a racist, based on standards that they themselves could never withstand. — P.108
17) Another shining example of the Democrats’ promotion of a fringe black “religion” was their close association with Jim Jones’ Peoples Temple. Though recent television biographies on Jones portray him as a religious leader in the mold of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson, Jones was the original left-wing community organizer, beloved by Democratic politicians throughout the land. …Based in San Franscisco, Jones was embraced by all of California’s liberal elite, including then (and current) governor Jerry Brown, former governor Edmund Brown Jr., Democratic congressman Phillip and John Burton, then assemblyman Willie Brown and San Francisco mayor George Moscone — who gave Jones a position on the city’s housing authority. …As hundreds died in front of him, Jones never mentioned God, but rather harangued his followers to stop their hysterics because “This is not the way for people who are Socialists or Communists to die….I call on you to stop this now if you have any respect at all. Are we black, proud, and Socialist, or what are we? — P. 83, 85, 86
16) Erol Ricketts, a demographer and sociologist with the Rockefeller Foundation, found that between 1890 and 1950, blacks had higher marriage rates than whites, according to the U.S. Census. Until then, black women were more likely to get married than white women — and that was despite the high mortality rate among black men, which left fewer of them available for marriages and made more black women widows. In three of four decennial years between 1890 and 1920, black men outmarried white men, with a ritual tie in 1900 at about 54 percent.
Black Americans were moving forward on a well-trod path in this country when liberals decided it would a great idea to start subsidizing illegitimacy. — P.11
15) To call racism the main problem in America would be like calling cholera the main health concern. The less we have of it, the more journalists claim it’s a crisis. — P.219
14) No one in the media considered it ironic that in a trial of a black man (O.J. Simpson) for the slaying of two white people, the only person called a “genocidal racist” was a cop who had used an ugly word in a nine-year-old screenplay. Cochran said Fuhrman was “America’s worst nightmare.” Evidently, having a large black man sneak up to your house late at night and cut your throat to the spinal cord is just an unpleasant dream. Maybe we should check with Nicole and Ron on their worst nightmare….oh no, we can’t. — P.131
13) According to the FBI, a higher percentage of rape claims are false than any other criminal complaint, 8 percent compared to 2 percent for other crimes. More detailed studies have found much higher rates of false rape charges. A study of all rape allegations in a midwestern city over nine years found 41 percent were false and a study of more than a thousand rape allegations on Air Force bases over the course of four years concluded that 46 percent were false. In 27 percent of the cases, the accuser recanted. — P.162
12) The century-long struggle for civil rights was over. Attorney Thurgood Marshall had won his cases before the Supreme Court. President Eisenhower made clear he was willing to deploy the U.S. military to enforce those victories. President Nixon had desegregated the schools and building trades. Racist lunatic — and Democrat — Eugene “Bull” Connor was voted out of office by the good people of Birmingham, Alabama. The world had changed so much that even a majority of Democrats were at last supporting civil rights. After nearly a century of Republicans fighting for civil rights against Democratic segregationists, it was over.
That was the precise moment when liberals decided it was time to come out strongly against race discrimination.
For the next two decades liberals engaged in a ritualistic reenactment of the struggle for civil rights — long after it had any relevance to what was happening in the world. Their obsession with race was weirdly disconnected for actual causes and plausible remedies. They simply insisted on staging virtual Halloween dress-up parties, in which some people were designated “racists,”others “victims of racist violence” and themselves, “saviors of black America.” — P.5
11) The alleged smearing of “the McCain family” in South Carolina was a total hoax. According to the myth, before the 2000 South Carolina primary, the Bush campaign made phone calls to voters implying that McCain had an illegitimate black child. As Linda Wertheimer reported on National Public Radio: “Mysterious calls posing as pollsters asked voters how they felt about John McCain’s black child.” That never happened. After a massive investigation by the media into Bush’s mudslinging against their then-heartthrob McCain, they turned up nothing. — P.197
10) There aren’t a lot of ways the government can make things better, but the sixties and seventies proved that there are a lot of ways government can make things worse. — P.95
9) There were other factors tamping down on racial hysteria around the time of the OJ trial. First, the generation that witnesses racial discrimination against blacks is getting old. Anyone who grew up watching The Brady Bunch entered a world in which blacks were only the beneficiaries of race discrimination — as Allan Bakke found out in 1974 when he was denied admission to the University of California medical school because he was white. That’s the life experience of anyone who is under fifty years old. Accusations of racism have as much sting for such people as being accused of involvement in the Teapot Dome scandal. — P.142
8) Frederick Douglass, speaking to a group of abolitionists almost 140 years ago, delivered a message lost on today’s majority.
….The American people have always been anxious to know what they shall do with us….I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played mischief with us. Do nothing with us….And if the negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone! ….[Y]our interference is doing him positive injury. — P.104
7) If white people could be shorn of all racism overnight, it’s not clear how that would improve the black condition. On the other hand, if all black people woke up tomorrow with the cultural predilections of Korean Americans, all sociological disparities — income, crime rates, out of wedlock births — would vanish within ten years. Both thought experiments are unfair, but one at least has a practical resonance to it. — P.261
6) Liberals step on black conservatives early and often because they can’t have black children thinking, “Hmmm, the Republicans have some good ideas, maybe I’m a Republican.”
The basic set-up is:
Step 1: Spend thirty years telling blacks that Republicans are racist and viciously attacking all black Republicans.
Step 2: Laugh maliciously at Republicans for not having more blacks in the party. — P.252
5) (Air Force One steward Robert M.) MacMillan reports that when LBJ was flying on Air Force One with two governors once, he boasted that by pushing the 1964 civil rights bill, “I’ll have them n*ggers voting Democratic for two hundred years.” — P.166
4) The myth of the southern strategy is that southern segregationists were conservatives just waiting for a wink from Nixon to switch parties and join the Reagan revolution. That could not be further from the truth. With the exception of Strom Thurmond — the only one who ever became a Republican — they were almost all liberals and remained liberals for the rest of their lives. Of the twelve southern segregationists in the Senate other than Thurmond, only two could conceivably be described as conservative Democrats.” — P.177
3) Liberals love telling blacks they are woebegone wretches horribly oppressed by whites. They love that. But since even the Democrats aren’t subjugating blacks anymore, no one is. So the Democrats make up stories of racist incidents committed by Republicans. — P.185
2) Liberals simply take everything that is good in history — which they generally fought against at the time — and retroactively label it “liberal.” Everything bad — which they generally supported — is branded “conservative.” …There is no sense in which race discrimination is “conservative.” Liberals were for race discrimination in the fifties; liberals are for race discrimination today. (As long as their kids still get into a good college.) — P.173
1) As French philosopher Jean-Francois Revel said of the left, while most regimes are judged on their records, only communism is judged by its promises. Similarly, modern liberals are judged on their motives; conservatives are judged on what liberals claim we really meant. — P.251
When I wrote last week that Democrats eventually would come to Congress seeking to “fix” the mess that is Obamacare
Maybe he’s just what America needs. Then again, maybe not. I speak of Vice President Joe Biden – who, according