Video: 1969–The Death of Modernism
In 1973, Patrick Moynihan said, “Most liberals had ended the 1960s rather ashamed of the beliefs they had held at the beginning of the decade.”
The 1960s began with a presidential election between conservative cold warrior Richard Nixon…and the surprisingly conservative cold warrior John F. Kennedy. In terms of the similarity between the two candidates, and the public they represented, this was a high point in national unity.
The assassination of JFK began a process that ultimately shattered that unity. During the course of the 1960s, Americans witnessed the split between the liberalism of FDR, Harry Truman, JFK and LBJ, and the rise of the punitive New Left that emerged in the wake of President Kennedy’s assassination.
As we explore in the latest edition of Silicon Graffiti, the alpha and the omega of those two forms of American liberalism came less than a month apart, in the summer of 1969:
Tune in for our take on:
- How Jackie Kennedy retroactively created Camelot, and the death of the New Frontier.
- We’ll look back at the “Helvetica World,” both in real life and at the movies.
- The end of New Deal-era optimism.
- The death of modern architecture, and the mansard-roofed canary in McDonald’s coalmine.
- The Malthusian doomsday pessimism that was a hallmark of Hollywood science fiction after 1969.
- The song remains the same.
- What does it all mean? Watch to find out!
And for almost 60 previous editions of Silicon Graffiti, or to watch a larger version of the above video, visit this section of Ed Driscoll.com and just keep scrolling.
Joe Geoghagan is a 31 year old veteran and he’s begging the VA not to let him starve to death. Let me repeat that. Joe Geoghagan is a 31 year...Read More
What kind of world are we living in where the Susan G. Komen Foundation has to do damage control for
On June 18 the L.A. Times turned in a sly performance attempting to paint Mitt Romney as the whites only
Texas has a parental notification law for abortions. Underage teens are not supposed to be allowed to have the procedure