DU Thread Of The Day: The Military Is Waging War On The White House
It’s been awhile since we had one of these to laugh at. And, of course, a good moonbat thread at the DU must start with some Seymour Hersh
The U.S. military is not just fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, America’s most renowned investigative journalist says.
The army is also “in a war against the White House – and they feel they have [President] Obama boxed in,” Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Seymour Hersh told several hundred people in Duke University’s Page Auditorium on Tuesday night. “They think he’s weak and the wrong color. Yes, there’s racism in the Pentagon. We may not like to think that, but it’s true and we all know it.”
In a speech on Obama’s foreign policy, Hersh, who uncovered the My Lai massacre during the Vietnam War and torture at Abu Ghraib prison during the Iraqi war, said many military leaders want Obama to fail.
“A lot of people in the Pentagon would like to see him get into trouble,” he said. By leaking information that the commanding officer in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, says the war would be lost without an additional 40,000 American troops, top brass have put Obama in a no-win situation, Hersh contended.
“If he gives them the extra troops they’re asking for, he loses politically,” Hersh said. “And if he doesn’t give them the troops, he also loses politically.”
Got that? The military is waging war on Barry. Intentionally. However, I would think, based on Obama’s numerous campaign talking points about increasing troop strength by several brigades would be a win, politically. But, it is a shame that the Left has to think about war in terms of what is politically best, rather than what is best to win. Of course, politics is life for the Left.
Anyhow, this article brought on some interesting comments from the Reality Based Community
- I’ve never been very comfortable with Gates in Obama’s administration. He doesn’t do anything really crazy to to get attention (and I sleep better knowing that Mr. Ding “Don” Rumsfield is out of the picture)…but, any Bush holdover, especially in Defense, is dangerous. I hope Hersch is over-reacting, but if he isn’t, I hope Obama’s got a plan to deal with all of these guys, at once. (don’t worry, I’m sure Obama has plenty of plans to deal with American’s who disagree with him. None to deal with threats to America, though)
- The Pentagon is hopelessly infested with neocons and Christian fanatics……who believe they’re in a “crusade” against Islam. (translation: too many Joooooooo lovers and non-Muslim religious folks)
- I agree. They are dangerous fanatics. (but, Islamic terrorists are “freedom fighters“)
- This is much of the problem. They can’t think outside the ‘end times’ box. (I guess they are all “fundies,” as well)
- Here we see the real enemy of our nation – once again the enemy within - the military industrial organization – the military and the corporations. POWER. (got that? The military, established by the Constitution, is the enemy)
- I’d start by reassigning McChrystal. That was a punk move by him. Obama needs to let those boys know that he’s in charge. (I thought Rahm Emanual and David Axelrod were in charge)
- Have you seen him, heard him talk? He’s an a**hole, bitter and dictatorial. (Is the DUmmy talking about McChrystal, or Barry?)
- He should be replaced on principle.These are not zealots but patriots fighting invaders. (Told ya! The Islamists are patriots, the US military is the bad guy)
- I’m sorry to say that I cannot respect military brass. The military seems to be corporate – evangelical – bigoted – and many have not grown up enough to treat women of the nations they are invading and occupying like humans – as well as our own – their co-military female soldiers. (DU moonbattery wrapped up in one nice, neat ball)
You just knew that, at some point, this thread had to move from “barking moonbat” to “bat sh*t crazy,” right? Here we go!
Red Cloud: Line up those who oppose their President and shoot them. Pre Pinochet thinking here. Their job is to do or die, not to become the Pentagon Propaganda machine (no comment necessary)
Wetzelbill: They flat refused to snatch terrorists when Clinton was president They did it several times. I think even The Weekly Standard wrote about that before. Richard Clarke discusses this in his book, Against All Enemies. There are people in the military status quo who will go along with any harebrained GOP scheme yet fight tooth and nail against anything that a Dem president wants. That’s just how it is. (huh? Now they are blaming the military for Clinton not accepting Osama on a platter three times?)
Greengestalt: How ’bout using force?…… And I’d just PURGE the NeoCON and “Dominionist” plants overnight. All of them, dishonorably discharged, no leave, no pay, no medical, no disability. I’d have the media, on threat of “Abuse of the Patriot act” quickly throw together made for TV movies that show them as child raping, “Non-Christian troop” fragging, psychopathic Nazis and take a few (quite a few, actually) examples of them harassing and threatening other troops and make sure those are played to ‘balance’ if they ever manage to get on the news about that. That way they’d be a huge burden on the “Religious Right”, while the rest of the real army could be repaired and mobilized for peaceful (non-armed) civilian public works projects.
I’d want to cut defense spending by 2/3, with 1/3 going to paying the debt, 1/3 to infrastructure. Laid off troops would become public servants in the new mass-transit systems. Due to all the enemies America has earned we’d need a small but still top trained army and a small nuclear ‘deterrent’, and sadly that would be the remaining 1/3. Basically, enough to defend the homeland, launch a limited “Precision Strike” if we decide to and the “MAD” option but in a smaller state.
But don’t say that the Left hates the military.
Crossed at Pirate’s Cove
People don’t like to talk about America’s culture for the same reason that a man who just had a heart attack doesn’t want to discuss the double bacon cheeseburger he’s...Read More
Cheers for Indiana Democratic Rep Joe Donnelly, who broke rank with “progressives” to support the Fast and Furious subpoena in
Not all. After Mr. Obama’s strange press conference the other day, yammering on about not having a strategy, coming out
He hates to say “I told you so”, but, really, he told you so (The Hill) Mitt Romney on Thursday