Staying fit is a constant challenge for anyone who is busy – I find for myself working out regularly and sweating makes all aspects of life better. Simply releases pressure, allows the body to function better (hence the mind also should).
Had a meeting today with Elie Hirschfeld – he is a 62 year old real estate developer – who is , participating in this weekend’s Ironman U.S. Championship. Its 140.6 miles – consisting of a 2.4-mile swim; a 112-mile bike ride – and then a full marathon. I really left the meeting in awe as he detailed for me his workout routine and sheer determination. Some tips he left me with I am still thinking about hours later:
- Stay focused – It has to be a regular routine and not something that comes and goes
- Be Diverse in the exercise – he spoke of needing to switch things up both for training purposes and to work different body parts
- Don’t Get Hurt: Know your body, and understand when to ice and when to heat. Stretch and massage.
- Be Goal Oriented – Having a focus and a goal means you push yourself more
- Be proud and enjoy – it’s all part of life’s ventures. Have fun and enjoy along the way.
Elie Hirschfeld has completed more than 75 triathlons’ – and told me he wanted to retire after he completed the Israman Ironman Triathlon – but with this competition in NYC he had to “unretire”. The man is committed to so much – even today he was hard at work in his 5th Avenue Real estate office – and from his real estate to a slew of charities simply left me so inspired had to document it.
Now go and just do it and don’t think about it. Do it. (And Elie Hirschfeld – Thanks for the inspiration).
Ronn Torossian is CEO of 5WPR, a leading PR firm.